The management strategies of DES focus on prevention rather than cure by adopting healthy device use behaviours such as:
- Taking regular breaks in between periods of screen exposure.
- Limiting smart device screen time and engaging in more outdoor activity.
- Increasing text size to reduce squinting of the eyes while using devices
- Reducing overhead lighting and using anti-glare screens to reduce screen glare.
- Keeping an adequate face-to-screen distance when using devices.
- Placing device screens below eye level.